Xanax is a medication that helps get rid of many psychological disorders. The drug effectively eliminates the symptoms of depression, anxiety and other neurotic and neurosis-like disorders.
The group of drugs, which Xanax belongs to, is called “tranquilizers” or “anxiolytics”.
The active ingredient Alprazolam depresses the central nervous system activity and stimulates benzodiazepine receptors.
After the intake of Xanax:
- emotional tension reduces;
- symptoms of panic attacks decrease;
- symptoms of anxiety and fear are relieved.
The fundamental difference of Xanax from antidepressants lies in the fact that:
- The action mechanism of antidepressants is aimed at eliminating the causes of depression and panic attacks.
- The action mechanism of Xanax anxiolytic is aimed at a fast amelioration of the symptoms of psycho-emotional disorders.
Xanax combines the properties of both anxiolytic and antidepressant. Due to the selective effect over GABA-receptors, the antidepressant effect of Xanax is realized. This effect is absent in other anxiolytics. GABA is a very important inhibitory neurotransmitter that reduces the excitability of certain brain areas.
Anxiolytic and antidepressant are the main, but not the only effects that can be achieved, when using Xanax. Even a single dose of Xanax may exert several therapeutic effects, including:
- muscle relaxant;
- mildly hypnotic.
To reduce or eliminate the symptoms of psychological disorders, patients may choose between conventional or ER Xanax pills.
- Conventional tablets provide a tranquilizing effect that onsets quickly, but does not last long.
- To get rid of psychological disorders symptoms for the entire day, you need to take one ER Xanax tablet in the morning.
The initial dose of Xanax is determined in accordance with the severity of depression and panic disorders, as well as the individual patient’s response to the drug action. Patients who have never taken anti-depressants, sedatives and sleeping pills, require smaller doses of Xanax, than people with an history of psychotropic drugs use.
Recommendations for the most effective use of Xanax:
- anxiolytic therapy should begin with the lowest effective dose;
- drug should be discontinued through gradual dose reduction;
- if Xanax is used with a sedative-hypnotic purpose, the duration of the anxiolytic use should not exceed 3 weeks.
If the patient chose conventional tablets for achieving a sedative effect, he should start taking this anxiolytic with Xanax dose of 0.25-0.5 mg three times a day.
Single dose of Xanax may be increased by 0.5 mg every 3-4 days of treatment with this anxiolytic. The maximum daily dose of Xanax may vary from 4 mg to 10 mg.
Patients can easily shift from conventional to ER Xanax pills at any treatment phase with this anxiolytic. For example, if a person received 0.5 mg three times a day, he can switch to 1.5 mg ER tablets of Xanax once a day.
Xanax will reduce or eliminate the symptoms of psychological disorders in all patients older than 18 years.
The drug is contraindicated for use in people with hypersensitivity to Alprazolam or other anxiolytics. Xanax should be avoided in patients, receiving drugs for glaucoma treatment.
The advantages of treatment with Xanax:
- improves patient’s social adaptation;
- raises the emotional excitability threshold;
- effectively eliminates the symptoms of psychological disorders, normalizes sleep;
- restores the central nervous system, exhausted because of psychological disorders.
Among other anxiolytics, Xanax has a better tolerability and a higher selectivity.
The drug almost exclusively affects benzodiazepine receptors without affecting any other groups of receptors.
High Xanax selectivity provides its effectiveness for the treatment of patients with the widest range of psychological disorders.