Tramadol is an effective medication that doctors use for alleviating severe and chronic pain.
This powerful analgesic can reduce pain quickly, even when other painkillers were ineffective.
Tramadol can be used for the treatment of pain:
- of different types;
- of varying intensity;
- ofdifferent localization.
Typically, Tramadol is used for moderate pain amelioration. However, high doses of Tramadol can alleviate severe and very severe pain,when needed.
Tramadol is included in the group of drugs called “centrally acting opioid analgesics”. Tramadol is not the most powerful, but the safest opioid analgesic.
Unlike other opiates that increase the risk of addiction, Tramadol has a low potential for abuse.
Tramadol (Ultram) is unique through its dualpain relief mechanism.
- On the one hand, it acts as an opioid, blocking the activity of opioid receptors.
- On the other hand, it affects the concentration of serotonin and norepinephrine, and may have an antidepressant effect.
Thanks to its dual action mechanism and a strong analgesic activity, Tramadol is widely used in many fields of medicine:
The most common pharmaceutical forms of Tramadol are:
- ER tablets
- conventional tablets
Conventional tablets promote a faster onset of the analgesic effect, yet it lasts longer in the ER Tramadol tablets and capsules.
For the treatment of moderate pain, you can take:
- One Tramadol 25mg tablet – four times a day, or;
- One 100 mg Tramadol capsule – once a day.
For the treatment of severe and very severe pain, you can use:
- One 100 mg Tramadol tablet – four times a day.
- One 100 mg Tramadol capsule – three times a day.
Pain treatment should begin with the lowest effective doses of Tramadol. Daily dose should be increased only in the absence of a response to the minimum analgesicdose.
Tramadol may promote minor side effects, like dry mouth, nausea, drowsiness or dizziness. The recommended dose of Tramadol does not cause any serious side effects. This analgesic does not inhibit cognitive function and does not affect the ability to drive.
The advantages of Tramadol:
- minimum probability for the development of tolerance and drug dependence;
- possibility of long-term use to relieve chronic pain symptoms;
- no serious adverse effects,characteristic of other centrally acting opioid analgesics.
Patients who require emergency assistance to address severe pain, may use combined medications that containthe opiate Tramadol and the non-narcotic analgesic Acetaminophen.
- Acetaminophen facilitates rapid painelimination.
- Tramadol provides a lasting analgesic effect.
Due to a strong analgesic effect, the duration of therapy with a combined analgesic is typically less than 5 days. Combined analgesics may be required for eliminating:
- acute postoperative pain;
- chronic neuropathic pain;
- pain caused by an injury or other damages.
Doctors can prescribe the opioid analgesic Tramadol for mitigating and eliminating pain symptoms in patients aged 17-18 and more.
Contraindications for Tramadol use include idiosyncrasy of opiates, simultaneous use of stimulant medications, asthma, and other serious breathingproblems.
Even though Tramadol has a stimulating impact over the nervous system, it is not a psychotropic substance. Tramadol removes both pain and psychiatric symptoms, which allows avoiding the concomitant use of neuroleptics, antidepressants or benzodiazepines.