Klonopin is one of the most effective drugs to treat panic disorders and reduce epileptic seizures. Neurologists and psychiatrists call Klonopin one of the most powerful drugs of a benzodiazepine group.
This drug is used for treating various neuropsychiatric conditions, including as a tranquilizer (anxiolytic), muscle relaxant, sedative and anticonvulsant agent.
In today’s medical field, two dosage forms of Klonopin are used:
- oral tablets
- dispersible tablets
An obvious benefit of Klonopin is its high anticonvulsant activity, due to which this anxiolytic is an ideal alternative to such drugs as Carbamazepine (Tegretol) or Clobazam (Onfi).
For this reason, Klonopin is often prescribed to control myoclonic or tonic seizures in patients with epilepsy.
However, this tranquilizer should not be taken for therapy of anxiety, stress or nervous tension associated with problems of everyday life.
After oral use, Klonopin quickly penetrates the blood,is distributed through the body and stimulates benzodiazepine receptors in the CNS. Thus, this anxiolytic inhibits spinal reflexes and helps to reduce excitability of the subcortical brain structures.
Due to this mechanism of action, Klonopin pills help:
- reduce intensity of emotional stress, panic, fear or anxiety;
- quickly suppress initiation and spread of epileptogenesis.
For the maximum efficiency of anticonvulsant or anxiolytic therapy, it is necessary to take Klonopin for nine weeks.
Take this powerful tranquilizer according to the prescribed dosing schedule:
- Initial dose of Klonopin for adults with epilepsy makes 1.5 mg split into three equal intakes.
- Drug therapy of mental illness should begin with use of 0.25 mg of this anxiolytic per day.
- In pediatric neurology, children under 10 years old are prescribedwith 0.05 mg of Klonopin per day split into three equivalent doses to prevent seizures.
- For safe and effective decrease in intensity of seizures, the daily dose of this tranquilizer should not exceed 20 mg.
- When drug therapy of panic disorder is discontinued, the dose of Klonopinshould be gradually reducedby 0.125 mg, once every three days.
At the beginning of treatment, Klonopin can cause mild adverse reactions, including somnolence, dizziness, or emotional blunting. However, these adverse events are rapidly disappear in further use of this tranquilizer.
When used regularly, Klonopin pills help effectively control frequency and strength of myoclonic or tonic-clonic seizures in patients with epilepsy.
When treating acute mental disorders, use of this anxiolytic helps:
- improve quality of night rest;
- reduce frequency of panic attacks;
- reduce intensity of their symptoms;
- reduce severity of fear or anxiety.
The results of numerous clinical studies confirm that Klonopin has high efficiency and favorable safety profile.
Due to these properties, Klonopin helps to minimize frequency and intensity of panic or epileptic seizures in minimal risk of adverse reactions.
Due to these properties, Klonopin enjoys great popularity and today is widely used in psychiatry and neurology.